Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is a service that includes technical data regarding the working ability of the Windows device and it includes all the information about the software as well as the device. Moreover, this CompatTelRunner.exe helps in making improvements in OS through operational improvements and implementation of new features.
However, many users have encountered that the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry process has started causing very high CPU usage or high disk on their computer while scanning or transferring data. Also, it makes the system slower and the users are experiencing system crashes and slow internet connection. This entire situation is considered quite frustrating for the users.
This problem might also occur when the device driver that you are currently using is not updated. Apart from that, a corrupted system file or a temporary data file can also be responsible for this issue.
How to Fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Windows 10 High Disk Usage?
Here, we are going to list some easy and useful methods that can help you out to get rid of the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high disk problem on the Windows 10 system. Follow and apply them accordingly as instructed below:
Method 1: Using the Registry Editor
By using the registry editor, you can also get rid of the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high disk problem on your Windows system. To know more about it, follow these steps hereunder:
- Press the Windows Home button and R key at the same time to open the Run dialog box.
- Type regedit on it and then click on the OK option or hit the Enter button.
- This will open the Registry Editor window. Once you are into it, navigate to the following paths HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > DataCollection.
- Find the Allow Telemetry folder and double-click on it. If you do not find it, then manually create it.
- Locate the DataCollection, right-click on it and then select New>DWORD (32-bit) Value. Enter the new value name as Allow Telemetry.
- Set the Value Data to 0 and then click on the OK option to save it.
Method 2 – Install the Latest Version of the Device Driver
Updating the device driver is an easy task to get rid of this problem on the system. Therefore, it is important to keep the device drivers up-to-date.
The following steps will help you to do so:
- Click on the Start icon and select the Device Manager.
- From the Device Manager window, locate the driver with a yellow mark and then right-click on it.
- Select the Update Software Driver option to start the update process.
- After completing the update process, restart your computer. Then check if the problem has been resolved or not.
Method 3 – Disable the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry through the Task Manager
Another effective method that we have provided here to resolve the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high disk problem on the Windows computer is to disable the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry through the Task Manager.
Here are some steps that you can try to disable:
- Press Win + R keys together to launch the Run box.
- Type taskschd.msc and then hit the Enter key or click on the OK option.
- From the Task Scheduler window, go to the Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience.
- On the Application Experience window, locate and right-click on the Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser.
- After that, select the Disable option.
Method 4 – Using the Command Prompt
By using the Command Prompt window, you can solve this issue on your computer. Here’s how to do that:
- Press the Windows Home button and X key to launch the WinX menu list.
- Then select the Command Prompt (Admin).
- From the Command Prompt window, type the following commands one by one and then press the Enter key after typing each.
sc delete DiagTrack sc delete dmwappushservice echo “” >
C:\\ProgramData\\Microsoft\\Diagnosis\\ETLLogs\\AutoLogger\\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl reg add “HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Policies\\Microsoft\\Windows\\DataCollection” /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
- Once the commands are executed, reboot your device and then check if the problem is solved or not.
Method 5 – Remove the Temporary Files
Removing the temporary files can also eliminate the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high disk problem. Perform the following steps given below:
- Launch the Run box by pressing the Win + R keys.
- Type %temp% and then click on the OK option or press the Enter button.
- From the Temporary folder, select all the items and then press the Delete button from the keyboard to remove them.
Method 6 – Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry by Deleting the CompatTellRunner.exe with Owner Rights
If the problem still persists after performing all the above methods, then you can try this method to fix this problem on the Windows system. Follow the directions as instructed below:
- Press Win + R buttons to launch the Run box.
- Type C:\Windows\System32 and then press the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- On the System32 window, locate the CompatTelRunner.exe folder, right-click on it and then choose the Properties.
- From the Properties window, move to the Security tab and then click on the Advanced button.
- When you are in the Advanced window, go to the Owner tab and then click on the Edit option.
- In the next window, select the Administrators and then click on the Apply option followed by the OK button to save it.
- Here you can see a prompt asking you to close the Properties window. Click on the OK option.
- Before removing this file, you need to change the permission for this file.
- For that, locate the Capattelrunner.exe, right-click on it from the System32 folder.
- Select the Properties option. In the Properties window, navigate to the Security tab and then click on the Advanced option.
- Move to the Permissions tab and then choose the account. After that, click on the Edit option.
- Choose your current account that you are using and then tick on the Allow column box for the Full control.
Once you are done with these steps, click on the Apply button followed by the OK option to save it.
Hopefully, with the help of the above steps, you will get rid of the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high disk usage problem.