The SKSE64 or Skyrim Script Extender 64 is a popular modding tool that is being extensively used for creating some complex mods in Skyrim Special Edition gameplay. Though this is a solid performing tool, some gamers have complained that their ‘SKSE64 not working’ while playing the game.
When this problem occurs, the gamers fail to launch the game even after the installation of the SKSE64 executable mods. They get to see only a display of a black screen. This problem even occurs when the gamer is using the recent version of Skyrim SKSE64.
If you are one of those who are encountering this issue during the gameplay, then check out this article till the end.
Probable Solutions to Fix the SKSE64 Not Launching Issue:
Whatever be the reason that is causing this issue, be it firewall, antivirus software, defective mods, or any other, you can easily resolve it by implementing the exceptional solutions stated hereunder.
Solution 1: Enable Skyrim on your Antivirus Software
Generally, Windows users use Windows Defender or any other antivirus software for preventing their PC from any sort of threats. This antivirus software sometimes identifies the SKSE64 game as a threat and thus prevents it from running on your computer. Thus, you need to enable Skyrim on your antivirus software in order to prevent this from happening.
Here are the steps that you need to perform from doing so:
- Go to the Start menu, click on it and choose the “Settings” option.
- From there, you have to click on the “Update and Security” option.
- Now, navigate to the left pane of the window and choose the “Windows Security” option.
- After that, select the “Virus and threat protection” tab.
- Next, you need to click on the “Manage Settings” option.
- Navigate to locate the “Exclusion” heading. From here, you need to click on the “Add or Remove an Exclusion” option.
- Further, choose the “Add an Exclusion” option and then select the “Folder” option.
- Thereafter, you need to add the Skyrim installation folder here.
Once you do so, now you can verify whether SKSE64 not working issue gets resolved or not by running the Skyrim application. In case not, then check out further solutions.
Solution 2: Allow Access to the Firewall
Often the firewall blocks certain programs and gaming elements due to which the game fails to connect to the server. Due to this, the game fails to launch properly. Under these circumstances, you need to resolve the problem by allowing access to the firewall.
Follow the steps given below to do so effectively.
- Begin with opening the Start menu and then choose the Settings option.
- From there, find and click on the “Update & Security” option
- Next, navigate to the left pane of the window and select the “Windows Security” option.
- After that, click on the “Firewall and Network Protection” option.
- Thereafter, choose the “Allow an application through Firewall” option.
- Further, you need to select the “Change Settings” option for granting the required permissions.
- Now, from the “Public” as well as “Private” network, you should allow “Skyrim” and its related applications.
- In the meantime, make sure that you have allowed the Steam option.
- Finally, tap on the OK button and try to run Skyrim gameplay.
If it is running well, then your problem is resolved but if still, you find SKSE64 not launching, try out the next solution.
Solution 3: Disable the Mods Causing Problem
Sometimes, the reason behind the occurrence of these errors is the problematic mods. This happens when you are using an updated version of the game, but the mods are still not updated. In this case, first, you should look out for an update. If you find that it’s yet not released, then all you can do to easily resolve the SKSE64 not working issue is disabling the mods.
For that, you need to go through these steps:
- At first, run the Ender Scrolls game and open the Menu
- Then choose the Mods option from the Menu
- Further, try to look out for the problematic mods.
- Once you get them, try to disable each of them.
Now, you can restart your game and verify whether the issue is resolved or not.
Solution 4: Rollback the Game to its Previous Version
Usually, when the game is updated, the SKSE64 is also updated. This makes the SKSE64 work seamlessly with the updated version of the game. But in case, the SKSE64 fails to receive an update, then all you can do is roll back the game to its previous version.
Here is how you can do so:
- Open your web browser and visit the Steam Database site.
- Then go to the Search bar and type “Skyrim” in it. Hit the Enter button.
- There you have to type the “APPID” number corresponding to that of “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.”
- Thus, when you click on this number, a new page will get open. Here you have to choose the “Depot” option.
- Now, under the “ID” section situated near the “Skyrim Special Edition exe” option, you have to write down the number.
- Thereafter, click on this number to open a new page.
- On this page, you have to choose the “Manifests” option.
- Now, you need to type the number that is older than the last update being released.
- Then go to the desktop and right-click on the “Steam Launcher” option
- From there, select the Properties option and type “console” just after the already written texts in the “Target” box.
- Further, choose the Apply option and hit the Enter button. This will implement the changes being made till now.
- Now, open Steam and choose the “Console” option.
- Here you need to write “download-depot (App ID Number) (Depot ID Number) (Manifest ID Number) and tap the Enter button.
As soon as you do so, you will get to see the folder where the older version is being downloaded on the “Console” option. Now, go to that folder and try to locate and copy the executable download.
Then you have to paste it into the folder for the installation of the game. Here you have to choose the “Copy and Replace” option and your game will roll back to its previous version.
Hope by performing all the above-mentioned solutions, you will be able to fix the SKSE64 not working issue permanently.